I´m sure, you´ve already heard of the new tv show “Make it or break it” which premiers June 22nd on ABC Family in the US (perhaps on GymnasticsCoaching ?).
Well, I just watched the 10 minute online exclusive preview and now I don´t know where to start. It would be so easy to make this show more realistic in order to show how the world of gymnastics really works – and it´s not only, that the actresses do not look like gymnasts.
A few points, I have to complain about:
1. Why do the gymnasts stand directly next to the apparatus during the competition watching the other girls competing? Nobody prepares the bars or does others things normal gymnasts would do. Plus there is no chalk – neither on the mats nor on the leotards.
2. Heidi Moneymaker, the stunt double for the character Emily (the girl with the “old” dark red leotard), has some more muscles on her body than the skinny actress. When you see her on floor exercise, the “skinny” Emily is suddenly very “muscular”.
3. The “mean” girl in the orange leotard falls on beam in such a ridicules way. Nearly every elite gymnast would have safed it instead of shaking the hip & falling on the knees. Come on, why can´t she do a realistic fall?
4. Do these gymnasts want to freeze or why aren´t they wearing their tracksuits? Oh yes, I know, the producers surely thought it´s nicer to see them in leotards.
5. Finally: Why is the competition arena so underexposed? It reminds me of the movie “Little girls in pretty boxes” where a spotlight is thrown on the performing gymnast.