I was really looking forward to the all-around final at the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore. And not only to see Komova, Tan & co. fighting for the medals, but also to get some good laughs how less some people know about gymnastics – some people who got the job to do the commentary of, well, the gymnastics competition.
Some turned the sound off, others had a good time not only watching, but also hearing the competition, posting the best comments (of the two famous commenters) on IG, while everyone knew he/she could have done a far, far better job!
Here are some of the quotes I found on the IG Forum:
- The seem to have absoutely no idea!!! Suddenly im feeling some appreciation toward the idiot trio!
These commentators say things like “she swings around” and “its easier on the high bar to keep your feet from touching the ground” (sear-bear)
- “it’s literally the balance beam!”
- “The balance beam is hard and narrow.” (pinkclouds)
- “some girls like to go with leather gloves” (sear-bear)
- “falling on your bottom is a bigger deduction than taking a step” (sear-bear)
- “Always a twist…a kick…a split…followed by a flip…a twist…” WHAT?
- “Each floor must include 4 tumble passes…”, “1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6!” (in one tumble run), Oh gosh. (aestivate)
- The take off, twist, and stick are all considered different skills now. Who knew. (Fishbulb)
- “that spin was in time with the music so the judges will like that” (sare-bear)
- I feel like I’m watching sesame street. (Bekah)
- WHOA They discovered the term “short landing”! Too bad they don’t know when to use it…(smiles)
- THIS JUST IN: Prepping for moves lowers your difficulty.
That and the ‘not-making-corner’ deduction, one could wonder why all of the execution scores are so damn generous. (aestivate)
- OMG! he found out what a Yurchenko is!! (rocky)
- “The uneven beam” (Gymfan 15)
- I officially crown these commentators the worst in the sport. (smiles)
I laughed out loud when I heard “its easier on the high bar to keep your feet from touching the ground” and “some girls like to go with leather gloves”…
What’s your favourite?
Gymnastics Examiner just informed us about a letter written by the former Singaporean national champion Alex Liang, in which he complains about the bad commentary.